Friday, June 8, 2012

My Weight Loss Challenge



I'm sure you're going to tell me "But you are not fat!". Yeah, I know :), but the thing is, I easily gain weight because of my slow metabolism. I have to exercise regularly just to maintain my weight. And this has always been a challenge to me.

It was the start of summer last year (June 2011) when I started gaining weight, as you can see from my picture below. I was burned out and my motivation to exercise went down. I also started eating a lot. I tend to eat a lot whenever I'm stressed.

Chubby looking Glo :)
This was my turning point (picture below). I asked myself - "Is this really me? ". It was then that I realized that I had gained enough weight, time for me to do something before it's too late, time for me to get back on track!

My "before" picture (taken last August 2011 in Singapore). Thanks to Ajoh for this photo.
I decided to join the Vibrant Living Walk, Run, and Donate program of our company (P&G). I committed to lose 3 kilos (or min. of 3% body fat) in 3 months (from Sept. 1- Nov. 30). I was determined to win this challenge so I vowed to start moving some more.

I started running, slowly at first, until I was able to complete the 5km non-stop around Greenbelt. I did 5km run in the morning and another 5km brisk walking in the evening (after work), total of 10km, 5-6 times a week. I also included resistance training in my exercise routine, 3x a week. In order for me to lose weight, I had to burn more than what I eat. So, I kept track of my food intake using the Livestrong (My Plate) application.



I overdid it! I lost 5 kilos after 3 months (more than what I committed), but I looked like I had just recovered from an illness. As they say, too much of anything is also not good ... so I decided to gain back 1kg, that was easy :).

After 3 months
All's well that ends well. I achieved my weight loss goal and so happy with my achievement (good job!). This is not about being thin. It's about being healthy, confident, happy, and beautiful in my own way.


Before and After photo

My weight is now hovering around 46 to 47 kilos, but I'm not stopping from here.  The challenge continues...






No comments:

Post a Comment