Sunday, June 24, 2012

Impulse Buying


Impulse buying is a spur of the moment, unplanned decision to buy, made just before a purchase. Research findings suggest that emotions and feelings play a decisive role in purchasing, triggered by seeing the product or upon exposure to a well crafted promotional message. (BusinessDictionary.com)






I admit, I am guilty of making impulse purchases, from small items like magazines, chocolates, 100 yen items (100 yen stores can be found anywhere in Japan), books to more expensive items like branded bags, clothes, shoes, perfumes, make-up, jewelries, etc. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this habit of making impulse purchases. After all, we are only human.

If I don't plan to shop or buy anything, I avoid going to any stores. Window shopping is a no-no for me. This is because I tend to buy items that I like, even if I know that I don't need the items. I tend to make an impulse purchase because it improves my mood and it makes me feel good, not because the item is necessary or useful. I also justify my purchase (especially if I make a large purchase) by telling that it's a gift for myself, a reward for myself for working so hard, just to make me feel good, without the guilt feeling.

Why am I writing this blog now? This is because, I made another impulse purchase today. And I think the item that I bought qualifies as a large purchase (it costs 9450 JPY). I made a mistake of going inside the Swatch store in Sannomiya Center-Gai.

This cute bracelet watch has caught my eye. It was a love at first sight :). I wasn't planning to buy a watch (as I already have several watches), but I ended up buying one today.




Do I want it? Yes.
Do I need it? No

Is it necessary? No.

Since this is not necessary and it's just a nice to have item, this is definitely a result of impulse buying.





Impulse buying temptation

How to Stop Impulse Buying?

I came across this site (www.homelifeweekly.com) and found these useful tips on how to stop impulse buying. I am reposting the tips here as a good reminder for me (and for the others out there who also have this habit of impulse buying).

1. Buy It Later. If you see something you want, don’t immediately buy it. Instead, write it down and set it aside for three or four days. After this cooling-off-period, read the note and see if you still can’t resist the offer. Chances are you won’t feel the buying urge anymore.

2. Make a Shopping List
Make a shopping list, and stick to it. Bring it with you to the store and cross off items as you add them to the cart. Mega sales can cause someone to spend out of budget. Remember to stick what you need to buy only (listed at your shopping list).

3. Set A Spending Budget Before Go Out For Shopping
When shopping for groceries, set a firm spending limit before entering the supermarket. Take along a pocket calculator, and keep a running. If you find it hard to control your spending, leave your credit card and extra cash at home. Remember, if you don’t have it, you can’t spend it.

4. Be Aware Of the Shopping Environment
Many stores are count on impulsive spenders, and actually arrange their products accordingly to common consumer buying behavior and the best layout that can easily trigger the impulse to buy of the consumers. For example, enticing displays for new products, pairing two products such as chips and soda on the same aisle, and various other tactics lure spenders to buy more than they came for. Be aware of how stores arrange the store, it can help you to say no to excessive items.



1 comment:

  1. When a customer takes such buying decisions at the spur of the moment, it is usually triggered by emotions and feelings. Checkout how to stop impulse buying.

    ReplyDelete